Friday, April 1, 2011

Virtual Ethnography 101: One Fine Day at Casa Manila

As part of the weekly exercises of my graduate students in Anthropology 225: Philippine Society and Culture, I wanted my students to explore places and write ethnography using the method of participation-observation.

I am posting in my blog with the writer's consent selected ethnography penned creatively by my students to contribute to the emerging sub-discipline of anthropology called 'Virtual Ethnography'.

Basically, virtually ethnography is also referred to as Webnography. We cannot deny the fact that with increasing use of technology and the Internet, there is now a demand for online spaces on various ethnographic accounts.


Ethnography by Ma Theresa Faith Abraham


One early morning, while trying to deal with the syndrome of laziness, I thought of doing a stroll within the walls of Intramuros in Manila. Living in Intramuros for almost two years, inside a dormitory, built almost five decades ago, made me feel interested to appreciate the beauty of the past.

While walking in the busy streets of Calle Real (Real Street), I saw a panorama of old buildings that now house Spanish-styled and designed universities of Letran, Lyceum, and Mapua; and government institutions like DOLE and OWWA; plus other private firms such as PDI (inquirer).

This stroll had made me appreciate more our history!

At the heart of Intramuros, you’ll find a street made up of old brick dated 1700s to 1800s, preserved to reflect an Spanish walled city. From there, you’ll also see Plaza San Luis, a complex composed of five replica houses that feature ingenious architecture built during the Spanish regime. These replicas are namely, Casa Blanca, Casa Urdaneta, Los Hidalgos, El Hogar Filipino, and Casa Manila.

I decided to enter Casa Manila, a Spanish colonial home reconstructed by then first lady Imelda Marcos. It is said that its architecture, furniture, and artworks are all antiques.

You’ll be guided from the courtyard to the first floor that resembles the receiving area. Adjacent is the office of the old master, then going up to the second floor, can be found the kitchen, the living room, the master’s bedroom, and several other rooms.

Old houses still depict the traditional big families that Filipinos had before because of apparent number of big rooms. The kitchen is also found on the top floor compared to our contemporary kitchens that are mostly situated in the first floor. And from the kitchen, you’ll pass an adobe staircase leading to the old well; at the backdoor of the house, and this will lead you to the courtyard.

I lived in an ancestral house in Zambales, owned by my father’s parents. Ever since I was born I am familiar with traditional houses, I saw and felt the differences between the traditional houses with conservative arrangements and the contemporary ones that are designed with modern artistry or designs.

No comments: