Thursday, April 8, 2010

She Says Skyscrapper and Sunset (Memories from my Wedding)

Celebrating our wedding day last April 8, 2006.
______________

"Why skyscraper and sunset?" I ask simply my beautiful wife.

She beams and sips quietly her fruit juice while mom and I discuss with our gorgeous wedding coordinator petty errands for the reception, outside a cozy café down Raffles building in Ortigas.

In her haste retention, she deems that tall buildings make a perfect scenery for sunset. Perhaps searching for symbiotic existence of the two symbols - of heaven for heights and of everlasting for sunset. Simply Everlasting. Everlasting what? Sounds apocalyptic to us young couple to seek for the right word to pair with that proverbial yet mysterious word, EVERLASTING?

Then she stares at me again, caresses her tummy, and perhaps assuring our baby inside it that everything goes well as I eavesdrop to our coordinator’s suggestion. In my mind, her tranquility means that I should agree with her simple request. A reception atop tall infrastructure overlooking skyscrapers and bare mountains flanked by establishments and busy roads. From blue to orange painted sky magnified by the glaze of sunset. And when night blankets the sky, lights of buildings will glitter around us. Windy yet full with gleeful guests; seeing good people and hearing testimonials; laughing and sharing inspiring tales; bonding and meeting new friends. For her, that setting would be a romantic place to be and a lovely view for families and relatives.

I guess her desire atop skyscraper screams each time she reaches heights and yearns that tall buildings become our backdrop for our wedding banquet. She beams beautifully as I catch happiness radiates in her eyes when I discern to bite her request. And when we reach that penthouse in Prestige Tower, her unceasing enthusiasm has not faltered. She keeps holding me tightly, making me appear happier for entrusting it all to me.

Few sleepless nights have gone by before our big day. Although, we think that our coordinator will take care of it all, still, she insists to take part in every detail of the wedding. Seems all brides are gifted with that charming aptitude for details while I continue with work and study in the graduate school at the same time. In her dreams, she remembers how she walks the aisle and how lovely and graceful she should be…

‘Til that day has come. At our suite at the hotel, while she and some ladies of the entourage have been dressed up and makeover; in my sudden haste, I rush to the hotel’s gym and sauna to let the butterflies in my tummy fly. As I restore my composition, leaving that spell of nervousness, and be in my best appearance, later I make my way to the parish of St. Francis of Assisi in Ortigas. I personally choose that House of Worship because it was named after my fave saint. While she’s still at the hotel being taken photos inside her luxurious suite overlooking tall buildings - her fancied view.

As I enter the massive door of the church, welcomed by my proud parents and supportive brothers, and handshakes simultaneously by amicable godparents and warm-hearted relatives and friends. Hastily, a bridal car appears to my sight and inside it, her saccharine smile hooks me up. Later, as she walks down the aisle, I recall her dream of walking beautifully and lovely towards me. We know the dream is happening now. It feels like heaven since both of us love each other. Call me Mr. Romantic? To my wife, I am her Mr. Romantic! It happens and we keep it flaming! We keep praying to cherish that flaming love….Everlasting!

*** You can see us in Philippine Daily Inquirer dated April 9, 2006 (turn to Lifestyle page)

No comments: